MEChA de CSULA
¡Ban This! Noche de Conciencia y Resistencia
Commemorating 45 Years of Chicana/o Studies
Commemorating 44 Years of MEChA & El Plan de Santa Barbara
Who: In April 1969, Chicana/o students from the United Mexican American Students, the Mexican American Student Confederation, and the Mexican American Student Association met at the University of California, Santa Barbara to unify the Chicana/o student movement. It was at this conference that the name Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (MEChA) was adopted.
In 2013, MEChA de CSULA commemorates 44 years of resistance as the leading voice of Chicana/o students on the campus of Cal State L.A. In addition, CSULA Chicana/o Studies commemorates its 45th Anniversary.
What: MEChA de CSULA will organize a ¡Ban This!: Noche de Conciencia y Resistencia as an evening of community discussion, culture, and celebration of 44 years of cultural resistance.
MEChA de CSULA will host a keynote speaker with panel discussion on the state of Chicana/o Studies and the Chicano Movement featuring:
– Santino J. Rivera (Xicano Independent Publisher & Author including Demon in the Mirror, Alcohol Soaked & Nicotine Stained, AmeriKKKan Stories, and ¡Ban This!: The BSP Anthology of Xican@ Literature
– Margarita “Mita” Cuaron (student leader at Garfield High School during East LA Blowouts and currently nurse and artist)
– Mayra Rangel (Political Science major and Chicana/o Studies minor at CSULA)
– Stephanie León (Chicana/o Studies and Sociology major at CSULA)
– Ron Gochez (Social Justice Educator, and member of Union del Barrio)
MEChA de CSULA will entertain with an evening of cultural awareness and pride through Chicana/o film, poetry, music and danza with:
– Danza Kalpulli Tlatekuhtli
– Las Cafeteras
When: Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 6:00-9:00pm in the Los Angeles Room (3rd Floor of the University Student Union • 5151 State University Dr. Los Angeles 90032)